Region VIII Student Representative
- Encourage and facilitate development of student members into active members and new leaders.
- Serve as a communication link between the national Student Forum and the state Student Representatives.
TERM OF OFFICE
- 1 year
- Maximum number of terms allowed: None, but person must remain eligible for the student member category
- ASCLS Student membership and reside in Region VIII
- Recommended experience that would be helpful to someone holding this office:
- Previous leadership position in an organization.
- State Student Representative experience very helpful.
- Mentor students in all states in the region to become involved in ASCLS.
- Provide resources to assist the student members and state Student Representatives.
- Provide feedback to the national Student Forum about state and regional student activities and issues.
- Reports to: Region VIII Director, national Student Forum Chair or committee member
- Other duties performed: Special projects that encourage student member development such as Employment forums, Student Bowl, leadership training opportunities. Participate in Council activities
- Meeting attendance & travel requirements: Attend at least two (out of three) Region VIII Council meetings per year – Jackson (during IMSS), spring video conference, or national meeting site (summer)
- Reports: Fall, Spring, Final reports to Regional Director
- Deadlines: as assigned by Regional Director
- Average time commitment: Approximately 4 hours per month
- Financial considerations: Travel expenses and registration costs to IMSS and/or national meeting
- Mentors: National Student Forum members, Regional Director, other regional or national leaders
- Materials: Region VIII Guidelines, Student Forum materials
- Helpful Hints & suggestions: Computer, e-mail very helpful.
- Contributions to the profession: Enhance the continuity of leadership that is essential to the continuation of the Society, improve communication within the organization and the profession
- Skills developed/enhanced: Delegation, recognition, mentoring, communication, marketing
- Contacts / networking opportunities: Meet and develop relationships with colleagues throughout Region VIII and at the national level
- Travel opportunities: Jackson and site of national meeting.