Made Just for You
The IMSS Planning Committee is working overtime to put together a powerful program that will be of interest to our members in Region VIII. We have big names like Rick Panning and Dr. Laposata along with familiar friends like Suzy Zanto and Omar Munoz.
We are dedicated to bringing you the finest selection of speakers covering the most relevant topics and providing an enriching educational opportunity unlike anything you will find online.
Come take advantage of the fantastic face-to-face program that IMSS offers.
Schedule at a Glance
All events held at the Snow King Sports and Events Center
Wednesday, September 27:
- 3:00-4:00 pm IMSS Planning Committee
- 4:00-5:30 pm ASCLS Region VIII Council Meeting
Thursday, September 28:
- 7:00-8:00 Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 8:00-8:15 Opening Ceremony
- 8:15-9:45 Keynote/ General Session A
- Diagnostic Errors with Results We Generate: How to Stop Them From Occurring
- Michael Laposata, MD, PhD, Professor and Chairman, Dept. of Pathology, University of Texas, Galveston, TX
- 9:45–10:00 Break
- 10:00-11:00 General Session B
- Government Affairs Round-up: Updates on Legislative and Regulatory Issues Clinical Laboratories are Facing Today
- Debbie Shell, BS, MLS(ASCP)CM , Idaho State University
- 11:00-1:00 PM Lunch with Vendors
- 1:00-2:00 Breakout Sessions
- #1 Troponin, Evolution and the New Generation, Theresa Joseph, RN, BSN
- #2 Letting Go of the Rules of Three…How Not to Let the MCHC Rule Your Life, Jeri Walters, SH(ASCP)
- 2:00-2:15 Break
- 2:15-3:15 Breakout Sessions
- #3 Current Concepts in Hepatitis Testing, Jared Jaeger, Ph.D.
- #4 Hemostasis and Women’s Health: The Laboratory’s Role in Diagnosing Complex Disorders, Tatsiana Mardovina, MD, Ph.D
- 3:15-3:30 Break
- 3:30-4:30 Breakout Sessions
- #5 The Worse Misdiagnosis of All: The Incorrect Diagnosis of Child Abuse, Michael Laposata, MD, Ph.D.
- #6 Procalcitonin, A Sepsis Marker, Holly Reeves, MSN, BSN
- #7 Blood Bank Case Studies from the Reference Lab, Wendy Palmer, MT(ASCP)
- 4:30–6:30 Appetizers and cash bar with Exhibitors and Silent Auction with proceeds benefiting the Teton Free Clinic in Jackson Hole and Region VIII Leadership Academy Fund
Friday, September 29:
- 7:00-8:00 Registration
- 8:00-9:00 General Session C
- Nice or Kind? Which are you Best at?, Jewell Zweegman, LMT, MR
- 9:00-11:00 Brunch with Vendors/ Awards Ceremony
- 11:00-12:00 General Session D
- R Squared: How to Keep Your Students and Alumni engaged in the profession and their organizations, Rodney Rohde, Ph.D.
- 12:00-1:30 Lunch ‘n Learn
- 1:30-3:00 Breakout Sessions
- #8 Tips and Tools for Using Behavior-Based Competencies in Your Organization, Susanne Norris Zanto, MPH, MLS(ASCP)CM
- #9 Introduction to Hemophilia- The Disease and the Tests- All Mixed Up, Jim DeMase, BS
- 3:00-3:15 Break
- 3:15-4:45 Breakout Sessions
- #11 Managing Laboratory Test Utilization: Relationship to Total Cost of Care, Rick Panning, MBA, MLS (ASCP) CM
- #12 MRSA Prevalence and Risk Factor Analysis in Multiple Settings, Rodney Rohde, Ph.D
- #13 Transfusion Reactions, Anna Cobb, MT(ASCP)SBB
- 6:00 – 9:00 Town Square Tavern Dinner Social
Saturday, September 30:
- 7:30-8:30 Registration and Breakfast
- 8:30-10:00 Breakout Sessions
- #14 Molecular Disease Testing Workshop, Part I, Richard L. Hodinka, Ph.D and Steve Young, Ph.D.
- #15 Case Studies in Hemostasis, George Rodgers, MD, Ph.D
- 10:00–10:15 Break
- 10:15-11:45 Breakout Sessions
- #16 Molecular Disease Testing Workshop, Part II, Richard L. Hodinka, Ph.D and Steve Young, Ph.D.
- #17 Lean Principles to Manage Project Improvements in the Laboratory, Omar Muñoz, MS, MLS (ASCP)CM
- 12:00-2:00 PM Wrap up IMSS Planning Committee